This unit is intended to introduce young learners to folktales. I have chosen to use two traditional folktales as told by my all-time favorite author and illustrator, Tomie dePaola. The activities in this unit are based on "Jamie O’Rourke and the Big Potato" and "Fin M’Coul: The Giant of Knockmany Hill."
Activities for "Jamie O'Rourke and the Big Potato":
- True/False Pocket Chart Comprehension Check: 10 pocket chart strips with true and false statements from the story
- True/False Independent Practice Worksheet
- THREE Responding to Literature writing prompts: writing prompts are differentiated for varied level learners
Activities for "Fin M'Coul: The Giant of Knockmany Hill":
- Awesome adjective pocket chart sort: students will sort adjectives to describe the two main characters
- Responding to literature writing prompt
- Antonym worksheet
- Beginning, Middle, End graphic organizer
This mini unit also contains a "Folktale" definition poster to be displayed in the classroom.