Give students hands-on practice with following instructions and using cardinal directions (north, south, east, west) and position in space concepts (around, in front of, between, behind, etc).
Students follow steps to cut, paste, and color furniture and objects on a living room floor plan. Exercises begin with four step-instructions and progress to 14 steps.
This is a chapter slice from the full unit: Follow Directions Around the House. Get the full, unit with five floor plans here
Improve listening skills by reading instructions out loud to students. Or improve reading comprehension by providing individual students with the living room floor plan and a set of instructions for them to read and follow the steps.
- Living Room Floor Plan
- Furniture Clip Art
- 13 Sets of Directions
- Extended Activity Suggestions
Skills Covered Include:
- Follow directions
- Read for details
- Understand cardinal directions (north, south, etc.)
- Understand intermediate cardinal directions (northwest, southwest, etc.)
- Understand instructions
- Understand the meaning of words and ideas
- Use fine-motor skills to draw, color, cut, and paste
- Use fine-motor skills to manipulate objects
- Use visual discrimination
- Interpret maps
Terrific for individual students or small groups!