These hands on activities will provide students with lots of practice with following instructions while also learning cardinal directions (north, south, east, west) and position in space concepts (around, in front of, between, behind, etc).
Students are given specific instructions for placing furniture and objects on various household floor plans. Exercises begin with four directions and progress to 14 steps. Floor plans include the Living Room, Playroom, Kitchen, Bedroom, and Entire House.
Improve listening skills by using these activities in small groups; read instructions out loud to students. Or improve reading comprehension by providing individual students with a room layout and set of instructions for them to read and follow the steps.
- 5 Different Floor Plans
- Furniture Clip Art for Each Floor Plan
- 65 Sets of Directions (13 per Floor Plan)
- Extended Activity Suggestions
Skills Covered Include:
- Follow directions
- Read for details
- Understand cardinal directions (north, south, etc.)
- Understand intermediate cardinal directions (northwest, southwest, etc.)
- Understand instructions
- Understand the meaning of words and ideas
- Use fine-motor skills to draw, color, cut, and paste
- Use fine-motor skills to manipulate objects
- Use visual discrimination
- Interpret maps
Do your students need more practice following directions? Try these activities:
Following Directions: Read & Color
Following Directions: Finish the Picture
Following Directions: Critical Thinking Skills
Following Directions: Around the Town