These fun and unique map activities will improve students' ability to follow directions, as well as their understanding of positions in space and using a map.
Each of the 30 maps of fictional places around town are accompanied by symbols and directions for where to draw them on the map. Exercises begin with eight directions and progress to 15 directions.
Improve listening skills by using these activities in small groups; read instructions out loud to students. Or improve reading comprehension by providing individual students with a map and set of instructions for them to read and follow the steps.
Skills Covered Include:
- Follow directions
- Read for details
- Understand cardinal directions (north, south, etc.)
- Understand intermediate cardinal directions (northwest, southwest, etc.)
- Understand instructions
- Understand the meaning of words and ideas
- Use fine-motor skills to draw, color, cut, and paste
- Use visual discrimination
- Interpret maps
Do your students need more practice following directions? Try these activities:
Following Directions: Read & Color
Following Directions: Finish the Picture
Following Directions: Critical Thinking Skills
Following Directions: Around the House