This packet contains following directions activities for 4 different spring themes: rainy days, a pond scene, flowers, and flying kites. These activities address listening for details, understanding prepositions, and understanding pronouns as well as following 1-2 step directions.
For each of the 4 themes, you will get a following directions mat, manipulatives to be used with the directions, and 24 following directions cards. The directions cards are broken up into the following categories:
• 6 2-step directions with the format “First ________, then_________.”
• 4 2-step directions that contain the word “before”
• 4 2-step directions that contain the word “after”
• 6 1-step directions that target negation.
• 4 1-step conditional directions with the format “If __________, then __________.”
That’s a total of 96 directions cards!
I included 2 copies of each following directions mat and 2 copies of each set of manipulatives. If you are using these activities with more than 2 students, you will probably want to print additional copies of the mats and manipulatives.
Here’s how to use these activities:
1) Cut apart the manipulative cards and the following directions cards
2) Give each student a following directions mat and a set of manipulatives
3) Have each student choose a card and follow the directions using the manipulatives
Here is a detailed look at what each of the themes includes:
•following directions mat with pictures of 4 children who are holding umbrellas or playing in puddles
•manipulative cards with 8 pictures of umbrellas and rain clothes
•24 direction cards
2) Pond Scene
•following directions mat with a spring pond scene
•manipulative cards with pictures of 12 different spring animals and objects
•24 direction cards (targets positional words)
•following directions mat with pictures of 4 children who are holding flowers
•manipulative cards with 8 pictures of gardening supplies and flowers
•24 directions cards
4) Flying Kites
•following directions mat with 3 pictures of children
•manipulative cards with pictures of 6 different kites
•24 directions cards (targets the pronouns “him,” “her,” and “them”)
Activity Created by Lauren Laur, CCC-SLP