Help kids learn this concept with strong visuals!
This unit introduces young children to food chains and food webs. As teachers, we know how much children are fascinated with real animals. So, we used photographs of live critters. There are many color photographs in this unit from an award-winning photographer.
Unit Highlight Concepts food chain, food web, food energy, food pyramid consumer, primary consumer, secondary consumer, tertiary consumer producer, herbivore, omnivore, carnivore, decomposer, scavenger, parasite host, predator, prey, photosynthesis
PowerPoint – Food Chain and Food Webs
This PowerPoint introduces food chain and webs and the vocabulary concepts listed above. 29 pages.
Bulletin Board Display
This unit provides directions and materials for an art display representing a forest food web.
• Included are 6 large colored photographs of forest animals with the animal’s name
• Included: bulletin board title, food chain and food web vocabulary words and arrows to show flow of energy in the food web.
• Option labels for identifying the photos - producer, consumer, herbivore, carnivore, etc.
• Student use the best word to complete simple sentences about a food chain.
• Student complete a true and false worksheet about food chains and webs.
• Student match food chain words with their definitions.
• Several worksheets related to showing the energy flow through food chains and food webs.
Meets State Standards for Science
• Living things depend on each other using the concept of food chains
• Identify flow of energy in a food chain
• Producers need sun, water and carbon dioxide to make food.
• Consumers and decomposers depend on the flow of energy through a food web.
• Helps students develop informational science literacy skills.
Copyright © Galloping Turtle Books - All Rights Reserved. The purchase of this unit, including the individual parts, is for one teacher only. Other teachers or classrooms must purchase their own individual license. All the individual elements are copyrighted and not in the public domain. Rights do not allow any publication of any parts of the work or uploading to the school website or the internet in any form.
For More Educational Resources