Students will learn about and build food chains and food webs consisting of different living things.
- describe the connection of living things, beginning with the sun
- identify and record a list of herbivores, carnivores, omnivores, and insectivores
- create a food chain using pictures and written descriptions
- determine the connection between living things using given pictures to create a food
- create a food web using pictures and written descriptions
Students will learn about the role of living things as producers, consumers, or decomposers; investigate the benefit of earthworms in making nutrient rich soil.
- define herbivore, carnivore, omnivore, and insectivore
- classify some living things as either herbivores, carnivores, omnivores, or
- determine ‘true facts’ and ‘false facts’ about living things
- identify a decomposer and describe its role in a food chain
- create an earthworm farm
- make and record observations about earthworm activity
- make and record a conclusion about the benefit of having earthworms in gardens
- create a composter filled with organic matter
- explain the uses and importance of compost
Suggestions for differentiation are also included so that all students can be successful in the learning environment.