This is a test that can be used in a Family Studies, Home Economics, Family Consumer Science/Food Science, or Culinary Arts course.
The test includes evaluates knowledge based on healthy eating and diets, maintaining a healthy weight, calories, BMR, food advertising techniques, body image, body types, and eating disorders.
There are 23 multiple choice;true/false questions in total. The rest of the questions are short answer questions. The remaining questions deal with:
- students applying their knowledge of food advertising techniques to two advertisements;
- defining two concepts relating to maintaining a healthy weight;
- defining and describing somatotypes;
- defining and describing eating disorders;
- answering a question regarding a friend wanting to go on a fad diet
The evaluation of this test is based on the curriculum expectations for the Ontario (Canada) curriculum document. This test was used in a grade 9 open-level Family Studies course but can be easily adapted to other courses and grade levels as well. The mark breakdown is included according to the achievement chart outlined in the curriculum document (Knowledge/Understanding, Thinking/Inquiry, Communication and Application). Only the Knowledge/Understanding and Thinking/Inquiry criteria are included in this test.