MIDDLE SCHOOL PROJECTS (Grades 7 – 8)
Coordinate Graphing (4 Projects)
Word Problems (2 Activities)
The activities include word problems and coordinate graphing projects. All activities use football as the theme.
The coordinate projects are created by plotting ordered pairs and then connecting them with straight lines.
There are two sets of word problems dealing with various Pre-Algebra topics. One set will find Football Stats such as Passing Percentage and Field Goal Percentage. The other set contains Standardized Type word problems with a football theme.
The coordinate activities consist of projects in the first quadrant and all four quadrants. They use ordered pairs with whole numbers and fractional points using the fractions 1/4, 1/3, 1/2, 2/3 and 3/4 for detail. When finished, students can use markers, colored pencils or other medium to enhance the project.
These activities can be a class project or something to be worked on independently when time allows. They also can be used as an extra credit assignment or when there is a substitute teacher.
Included in this download is:
* Student Directions for Plotting Coordinates
* Directions for Plotting Coordinates with Fractions
* Directions for Plotting Coordinates in Quadrant I
* Directions for Plotting Coordinates in All Quadrants
* Details for Plotting Coordinates with Fractions in Quadrant I
* Details for Plotting Coordinates with Fractions in All Quadrants.
* Coordinate graph paper for plotting (Light and Dark Grids)
* Coordinate points list for each graphing project
* Full sized answer keys for each project in Color and Black & White
Coordinate Projects Include
* Football Helmet with fractions
* Football Helmet without fractions
* Football Stadium.
Word Problems Include
* Football Stats such as Passing Percentage and Field Goal Percentage
* 10 Pre-Algebra Math Problems with an answer key
If you like these projects please let us know. There are many projects covering the entire school year and some projects which are cross curricular (Sports, Patriotism, Seasons, Holidays, History, Foreign Language and Science). Lessons begin at 4th grade and are appropriate for Elementary School, Middle School and some for High School students. These projects have been used successfully at both the Elementary and Middle School levels.
All projects are copyrighted, so please don’t distribute them to all of your colleagues. Instead direct them to our Store:
Anthony & Linda Iorlano
Specify locations and describe spatial relationships using coordinate geometry and other representational systems.
Word problems are included in each strand of the NCTM standards.
Common Core State Standards
CCSS.Math.Content.5.G.A.1 Use a pair of perpendicular number lines, called axes, to define a coordinate system, with the intersection of the lines (the origin) arranged to coincide with the 0 on each line and a given point in the plane located by using an ordered pair of numbers, called its coordinates. Understand that the first number indicates how far to travel from the origin in the direction of one axis, and the second number indicates how far to travel in the direction of the second axis, with the convention that the names of the two axes and the coordinates correspond (e.g., x-axis and x-coordinate, y-axis and y-coordinate).
7.RP Ratios and Proportional Relationships
• 7 Analyze proportional relationships and use them to solve real-world and mathematical problems.
• 7.RP.1 Compute unit rates associated with ratios of fractions, including ratios of lengths, areas and other quantities measured in like or different units.
• 7.RP.2 Recognize and represent proportional relationships between quantities.
7.RP.3 Use proportional relationships to solve multistep ratio and percent problems.
7.NS.3 Solve real-world and mathematical problems involving the four operations with rational numbers.