Also included in
- This bundle includes these Forensic Science resources from Science of Curiosity:Forensics Arson Investigation - NO PREP! Students listen to a action-packed audio drama about an arson/murder investigation (check HERE to be sure your school supports this audio story!)Blood Spatter Lab - Student center$29.00$34.00Save $5.00
- Teach your students the Forensic Science of Death Investigation! This comprehensive bundle includes Interactive Google Slides, Guided Notes, Activities, Review and Assessment. Included in the resource:Forensics Death Investigation: Notes, Activity and Review - Interactive Google Slides teaches your$16.50$19.50Save $3.00
- High School Forensics Curriculum Bundle! Save on EVERY forensics product offered by Science of Curiosity. This is a GROWING bundle, with 50 + products and counting! Includes eleven forensic topics, six projects, review questions and assessments. Click HERE to see the detailed pacing guide that comes$126.00$140.50Save $14.50
Forensic Death Investigation! This resource will teach your students what happens to a body after death, and then give them a chance to practice their skills! Includes everything your students need to determine the time since death of our victim - Zelda Smith. She was found by her boyfriend in what appears to be a tragic accidental death....but maybe not?
This is a print-and-go activity! needed, great for a sub! It can be used as a stand alone activity, or part of an Autopsy or Death Investigation Unit - an intro or for review!
- Teachers guide
- Clues in Death student guide - Paper and Digital option! provides information about Rigor Mortis, Livor Mortis, Body Temperature changes after death, Appearance of the Eyes, and Digestive Contents. Everything they need to know to solve the case.
- Police and Autopsy report - Paper and Digital option! students use this information to determine both time since death, time since last meal, and the possibility of foul play
- One page student sheet (front and back) with questions and a time line that guides students to determine the time since death. Paper and Digital option!
- Full answer key!
Some of the questions your students will consider:
- How long between Zelda's last meal and her death?
- What does the location of Livor Mortis tell us about the body? Has it been moved?
- Does the blood evidence match what you would expect to see?
The story line of the activity is inspired by the Weird Al song, Albuquerque. In the song, Albert (Al) meets Zelda outside of a Donut Shop in Albuquerque NM. In the song they get married and have two kids. He later divorces her when she asks if they should join the Columbia Record Club (he is not ready for that kind of commitment!). In the song, Al then gets a job at the Sizzler. These names and places are woven into the crime investigation. It is rare that a student has heard the song, but I sometimes play it in class while they are working, just for fun.
Need more Forensics Death Investigation resources?
- - Interactive Google Slides teaches your students about Time Since Death, Manner and Cause of Death, and the job of the Medical Examiner. Includes an activity and Google Form review questions. The resource can be 100% digital, and no prep.
- - NO PREP! Everything your students need to learn what happens to a body after death, and then use those skills to estimate when Zelda died. Was it accidental death, or murder??
- - a fun documentary that students always enjoy! The Body Farm, located in TN, is home to a few dozen donated bodies, where Forensic Scientists go to learn about human decomposition.
- There are many ways to use this resource in your class to reinforce learning about autopsies, entomology, cause of death, and time since death. Digital and Print options!
- : Learn the five stages of decomposition to determine the time since death (post mortem interval). A great addition to your Forensics Death Investigation unit! This is designed to be a student independent activity, no direct instruction is needed!
- Teach the terms used by Forensic Pathologists / Medical Examiners when they perform an Autopsy! Interactive Google Slides, Printable Notes and Hands on Activity!
- : Students learn how to measure maggots to determine the time since death! Digital activity - no prep!
- Teach your students how to be Forensic Anthropologists! Learn to read bones and determine gender, height and age. Then solve a Missing Person Case!
More Forensic Science Topics!
- Forensic Autopsy Report - help your students practice their skills as a Medical Examiner!
- Arson Investigation - NO PREP
- Digital DNA Fingerprint Activity! Learn the process of DNA Fingerprinting! Make four DNA Fingerprints! Solve a Murder Case!
- Blood Spatter Lab - Student centered, learn by doing
- Forensic Files Video List - find the perfect Forensic Files video for every topic
- Forensic File Video Guide - FREE
- True Crime Book Project: Increase literacy in your Forensic Science Class!
- Murder In Miniature Forensics Project - students create their own crime scene diorama and then process the scene as an Investigator. Complete with full rubric, PowerPoint and photos of example projects