This PowerPoint uses the short story "The Landlady" by Roald Dahl to teach:
*Suspense, mystery, tension
*Theme analysis writing
*Plot elements analysis
Students will begin by identifying and analyzing foreshadowing and irony with cited examples through whole group and small group work.
Students then analyze plot elements with their groups and compare to the teacher's notes.
Students finish with a writing assignment that includes a whole group brainstorm and independent writing assignment for a theme analysis paragraph.
- whole group and small group discussion prompts
- small group activity to identify devices
- cited examples and explanations of devices for teaching points
- plot analysis examples with cited evidence and explanation for teaching points
- theme activity to identify supporting details that can be adapted to whole group or small group
- a sample color coded theme analysis paragraph to break down paragraph organization and citations
- a color coded theme analysis outline for students
Content of this PowerPoint can be broken down over several days to fit teacher's preference and used as mini-lessons or to fit entire class periods. This unit works well as an in-depth analysis of "The Landlady" by Roald Dahl or used for modeling and gradual release while analyzing independent short stories.