Are you tired of the same old geography worksheets? Your students are, too! Here is a project to keep them engaged while learning about location, population sizes, and simple logistics.
Rock & Pop(ulation) is a collaborative assignment asking students to imagine they are part of a very successful musical act: a rock band, an indie outfit, a country group, or a rap collective. They must plan a tour to play for their thousands of fans.
Students must work collaboratively – in groups of three or four – to “route” the tour correctly. They must play municipalities (i.e. cities) with a population size of at least 50,000 based on reported data. They must also be sure that the cities their band schedules to play from night-to-night are not too far apart.
DOWNLOAD THE FULL PREVIEW BEFORE YOU BUY!
In this assignment, the logistics of a tour require large buses of equipment to move from city-to-city with enough time to set up the stage, lighting, instruments, and other equipment before the show.
The band itself will also travel by bus, so they don’t want to tire themselves with six- or seven-hour bus rides.
Students should plan to travel to cities no more than five hours apart to accommodate these very real, very “human” needs.
It will be a great project for introducing these concepts, for reinforcing them, or as a substitute lesson.
Try it today!
If you like this product, consider purchasing these related items from my store:
1. 100 Social Studies Research Questions Elementary/Middle Grades
2. Let's Explore the Middle East! Find Countries & More on a Map
3. Let's Explore Canada! Find Canadian Provinces & More on a Map
4. Let's Explore America! Find American States & More on a Map
5. Fifty (50) Landforms and Bodies of Water Workbook - Visual Dictionary
6. 50 States & Capital Cities BINGO - 25 Full-Color Game Sheets
7. 50 States & Capital Cities - Worksheets for upper elementary- substitute lesson!
8. Absolute & Relative Location Assignment: NFL Football Teams + Google Earth Tour!
9. World Cultures Theme Park Map Project - Social Studies/Substitute Lesson
10. What Time Is It? Introducing American Standard Time Zones Assignment
Rock & Pop(ulation): Form a Band! Go on Tour! Learn Location, Population & Logistics (Geography)
by Christopher Mitchell
is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License