Also included in
- 6 cross-curricular writing products. Useful for any teachers who require informational writing to use for Common Core writing and for reference all year. Help students improve their writing skills and increase comprehension/retention. Step-by-step instructions, organizers, one-page summaries of t$18.00$25.60Save $7.60
Help MS/HS students unpack Common Core Standards W1d and 2e to "establish and maintain a formal style". Applicable to any subject requiring informative/explanatory writing and an excellent tool for cross-curricular collaboration. See the thumbnails and the preview for samples.
26-page packet includes many handouts. Pick and choose what you need for your objectives:
* Guide with 9 tips from experts, explained with student-friendly examples. Topics include wordiness, tone, formal point of view, active voice, prepositions, generalizations, word choice, space for a personal goal for improvement, and a blank lined sheet for your own additional tips. The tips are grouped into short segments on separate pages for mini-lessons. (5 pages)
* Separate 1-page Quick Guide summarizes the 9 tips briefly, providing an overview--see the thumbnail.
* Practice sentences to correct, applying the tips. Answer Key included.
* Punctuation Guide to using advanced marks: colon, semi-colon, brackets, dash, ellipsis and more.
* 1-page introduction to six common Latin terms to help students use them correctly: circa, e.g., etc., i.e., sic, vs.
* 2 revising and editing checklists for self/peer/teacher use based on the traits of effective writing plus elements of formal style. Pick the one you like.
* Teacher suggestions for use
As a bonus, the following supplementary handouts have been included from my other products for informative/explanatory writing.
* Transitions list
* Avoiding plagiarism handout
* Proofreading marks handout (12 basic symbols)
* MLA in-text citations and works cited guides (1 page each)
Many possible uses for class sets for mini-lessons for essays/research reports; as reference handouts for students to keep in their notebooks; and/or for mini-posters for bulletin boards.
Check out these other structured writing guides!