This 12 page Formative Assessment Lesson is designed to be part of an instructional unit. This task should be implemented approximately two-thirds of the way through the instructional unit. The results of this task should then be used to inform the instruction that will take place for the remainder of your unit.
This lesson unit is intended to help you assess how well students are able to count objects up to 10 no matter how they are arranged and also how well they are able to represent their counts with written numerals. It will help you to identify students who have the following difficulties:
• Not being able to track where they start/stop counting
• Arranging objects to be counted
• One-to-one correspondence
Common Core State Standards
This lesson involves mathematical content in the standards from across the grade, with emphasis on:
Counting and Cardinality K.CC
• Know number names and the count sequence.
• Count to tell the number of objects.
This lesson involves a range of Standards for Mathematical Practice, with emphasis on:
1. Reason abstractly and quantitatively.
2. Look at and make use of structure.
This product is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike 3.0 License.