This lesson is intended to help you assess how well students are able to use fractions in a problem solving context. In particular this lesson aims to identify and help students with difficulties:
• Conceptualizing fractional parts of different wholes
• Choosing an appropriate, systematic way to collect and organize to display multiple step tasks
• Conceptualizing fractional comparisons and fractional parts of other fractions
Common Core State Standards
This lesson involves a range of Standards for Mathematical Practice, with emphasis on:
1. Make sense of problems and persevere in solving them.
4. Model with mathematics.
7. Look for and make use of structure.
This lesson involves Standards for Mathematical Content in the standards from across the grades, with emphasis on:
4.NF Build fractions from unit fractions by applying and extending previous understandings of operations on whole numbers.
5.NF Apply and extend previous understandings of multiplication and division to multiply and divide fractions. 6.NS Apply and extend previous understandings of multiplication and division.