This 26 page lesson is intended to help you assess how well students are able to:
• Understand a fraction as the quantity formed by 1 part when a whole is partitioned into equal parts.
• Represent a fraction on a number line diagram
• Understand two fractions are equivalent (equal) if they are the same point on a number line.
• Solve fraction word problems using the number line to represent solutions.
Common Core State Standards
This lesson asks students to select and apply Standards for Mathematical Content from across the grades, with the emphasis on:
Number and Operations – Fractions 3.NF (Grade 3 expectations in this domain are limited to fractions with denominators 2, 3, 4, 6, and 8.)
Developing understanding of fractions as numbers.
3.NF.1 Understand a fraction 1/b as the quantity formed by 1 part when a whole is partitioned into b equal parts: understand a fraction a/b as the quantity formed by a parts of 1/b.
3.NF.2a.b. Understand a fraction as a number on the number line; represent fractions on a number line diagram.
3. NF.3 Explain equivalence of fractions in special cases, and compare fractions by reasoning about their size.
This lesson involves a range of Standards for Mathematical Practice from the standards, with emphasis on:
1. Make sense of problems and persevere in solving them.
2. Reason abstractly and quantitatively.
3. Construct viable arguments and critique the reasoning of others.
4. Model with mathematics
6. Attend to precision
7. Look for and make use of structure