Identify and Sort Shapes (Kindergarten)
This Formative Assessment Lesson is designed to be part of an instructional unit. This task should be implemented approximately two-thirds of the way through the instructional unit. The results of this task should then be used to inform the instruction that will take place for the remainder of the unit.
This lesson unit is intended to help you assess how well students are able to sort and identify shapes, both solid and flat, and defend their reasons. It will help you to identify students who have the following difficulties:
• Not being able to recognize different shapes
• Not being able to count sides of shapes
• Not being able to recognize the difference between solid and flat shapes
• Grouping shapes for matching attributes
Common Core Standards
This lesson involves mathematical content in the standards from across the grade, with emphasis on:
Sophisticated Shapes K.CC
• Identify and describe shapes (squares, circles, triangles, rectangles, hexagons, cubes, cones, cylinders, and spheres)
• Analyze, compare, create, and compose shapes.
This lesson involves a range of Standards for Mathematical Practice, with emphasis on:
1. Make sense of problems and persevere in solving them.
2. Construct viable arguments and critique the reasoning of others.
3. Use appropriate tools strategically.
4. Attend to precision.
This product is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike 3.0 License