This 16 page Formative Assessment Lesson is designed to be part of an instructional unit. This task should be implemented approximately two-‐thirds of the way through the instructional unit. The results of this task should then be used to inform the instruction that will take place for the remainder of your unit.
This lesson unit is intended to help you assess how well students are able to measure objects using non-‐standard units of measure and compare three objects according to length. It will help you to identify students who have the following difficulties:
• Students having difficulty comparing and ordering objects.
• Students who are struggling with iterating objects for measurement. (This means that students understand objects must be laid end to end with no gaps or overlaps in order to be accurate.)
• Students who are struggling with idea of conservation of length. (This means that the measurement of the objects length does not change when I move or change the orientation of the object.)
Common Core State Standards
This lesson involves mathematical content in the standards from across the grade, with emphasis on:
Measurement and Data 1.MD
Measure lengths indirectly and by iterating length units.
This lesson involves a range of Standards for Mathematical Practice, with emphasis on:
1. Reason abstractly and quantitatively.
2. Construct viable arguments and critique the reasoning of others.
3. Attend to precision.