This 11 page Formative Assessment Lesson is designed to be part of an instructional unit. This task should be implemented approximately two-‐-‐-‐thirds of the way through the instructional unit. The results of this task should then be used to inform the instruction that will take place for the remainder of your unit.
This lesson unit is intended to help you assess how well students are able to recognize the value of the place in a number. It will help you to identify students who have the following difficulties:
• Estimate and measure items using inches.
• Selecting the appropriate tool to use to measure items.
• Estimate and measure length and height using centimeters.
• Estimate and measure length in inches, feet, and yards.
Common Core State Standards
This lesson involves mathematical content in the standards from across the grades, with emphasis on:
Measurement and Data 2.MD
• Measure and estimate lengths in standard units.
This lesson involves a range of Standards for Mathematical Practices, with emphasis on:
1. Reason abstractly and quantitatively.
2. Construct viable arguments and critique the reasoning of others.
3. Use appropriate tools strategically.
4. Attend to precision.