This 24 page Formative Assessment Lesson is designed to be part of an instructional unit. This task should be implemented approximately two-thirds of the way through the instructional unit. The results of this task should then be used to inform the instruction that will take place for the remainder of your unit.
This lesson unit is intended to help you assess how well students are able to recognize the value of the place in a number. It will help you to identify students who have the following difficulties:
• Recognizing place value of ones, tens, hundreds.
• Use correct mathematical vocabulary to explain place value to a partner.
• Make connections of place value to previously taught lessons.
Common Core State Standards
This lesson involves mathematical content in the standards from across the grades, with emphasis on:
Number and Operations in Base Ten 2.NBT
• Understand place value.
This lesson involves a range of Standards for Mathematical Practice, with emphasis on:
- Reason abstractly and quantitatively.
- Look for and make use of structure.