This lesson unit is intended to help you assess how well students are able identify equivalent decimal fractions. Students will:
o Recognize and generate equivalent fractions.
o Use equivalent fractions to add and subtract fractions with like denominators.
o Use decimal notation for fractions with denominators 10 and 100.
o Use words to indicate the value of the decimal.
o Use decimal fractions and locating them on the number line. Use area models to represent equivalent fractions and decimals.
Common Core State Standards
This lesson involves mathematical content in the standards from across the grade, with emphasis on:
• Extend understanding of fraction equivalence and ordering. (Note: Ordering of fractions is not addressed in this lesson.)
• Build fractions from unit fractions by applying and extending previous understandings of operations on whole numbers.
• Understand decimal notation for fractions, and compare decimal fractions.
This lesson involves a range of Standards for Mathematical Practice with emphasis on:
1. Make sense of problems and persevere in solving them.
3. Construct viable arguments and critique the reasoning of others. 7. Look for and make use of structure.