This 12 page lesson unit is intended to help you assess how well students are able to use addition and subtraction in a problem solving situation. In particular, this lesson aims to identify and help students who have difficulties with:
• Choosing an appropriate, systematic way to collect and organize data.
• Examining the data and looking for patterns
• Describing and explaining findings clearly and effectively.
Common Core State Standards
This lesson involves a range of mathematical practices from the standards, with emphasis on:
1. Make sense of problems and persevere in solving them.
4. Model with mathematics.
8. Look for and make use of repeated reasoning.
This lesson asks students to select and apply mathematical content from across the grades, including the content standards:
K-OA: Understand addition as putting together and adding to, and understand subtraction as taking apart and taking from.
1-OA: Represent and solve problems involving addition and subtraction.
2-OA: Represent and solve problems involving addition and subtraction.
3-OA: Solve problems involving the four operations, and identify and explain patterns in arithmetic.