This 16 page Formative Assessment Lesson is designed to be part of an instructional unit. This task should be
Mathematical goals implemented approximately two-thirds of the way through the instructional unit. The results of t his task should then be used to inform the instruction that will take place for the remainder of your unit.
This lesson is intended to help you assess how well students are able to fluently add and subtract within 100 using strategies based on place value, properties of operations, and/or relationships between adding and subtracting. It will help you to identify students who have the following difficulties:
• Recognizing place value of ones, tens, and hundreds.
• Understanding the commutative and associative properties as they relate to the numbers used in addition and subtraction equations.
• Applying efficient strategies (especially strategies based on place-value, properties of operations, and the relationship between addition and subtraction) to add and subtract fluently.
Common Core State Standards
This lesson involves mathematical content in the standards from across the grades, with emphasis on:
Number and Operations in Base Ten 2.NBT
• Use place value understanding and properties of operations to add and subtract.
This lesson involves a range of Standards for Mathematical Practice, with emphasis on:
1. Reason abstractly and quantitatively.
2. Look for and make use of structure.