I didn't know .... she couldn't go .... they can't come .... We use contractions constantly in spoken English, and so understanding and using contractions is essential for ESL learners as they build their familiarity with the language.
This 12 page packet includes:
1. Table of contents with learning objectives (speaking, reading, listening, or writing) and teacher role
2. Explanatory handout on negative contractions
3. Taboo cards for contractions
4. Negative contractions dialogue fill-in
5. Make a contraction speaking activity (2 versions for beginner and more advanced students)
6. Pronunciation of negative contractions handout
7. Picture prose fill-in
8. Picture presentation speaking activity (2 pages)
9. Role play sample situations for partners or groups
It covers 15 standard negative contractions:
When I teach this to my adult ESL classes, it usually takes 2 one-hour class periods.
Extra attention is paid to the pronunciation aspect of these negative contractions because the difference between "can" and "can't" and "did" and "didn't" is absolutely critical for meaning. Find more accent reduction resources at www.absentaccent.com.