Fort Sumter. Southern Secession
Lesson 9 of the Slavery and a Dividing Nation Unit: Events that led to the Civil War.
This engaging and visually appealing 28-slide PowerPoint presentation is easy to understand with content illustrated with charts and pictures. It’s an excellent way to teach about Fort Sumter and Southern Secession.
NOTE: This slide presentation is a PowerPoint document. The text in the PowerPoint presentation can be altered, as can the order of the slides, transitions between slides, and animation of bullet points. The photos and proprietary fonts (in the titles and backgrounds) have been “digitally flattened” and are NOT ALTERABLE. This protects against copyright violation.
Overarching Question for this PowerPoint presentation (Thinking Focus Question):
- How did the South react to Lincoln’s election victory?
This PowerPoint presentation examines:
- The Democratic Party splitting and nominating two candidates for President
- The Forming of the Constitutional Union Party and its candidate
- The Republican nomination of Abraham Lincoln
- Lincoln’s presidential win and the reaction of the South
- Senator John Crittenden’s last effort to save the Union by introducing an “unamendable amendment”
- The first seven southern states to leave the Union
- Jefferson Davis and the Confederate States of America
- Lincoln’s inaugural address
- Robert Anderson occupying Fort Sumter and his eventual surrender
Key words include:
Confederate States of America
This PowerPoint presentation and graphic organizer is part of the unit: A Dividing Nation: Events that led to the American Civil War. This unit can be downloaded in its entirety saving you substantially what it would cost you to buy each PowerPoint presentation and graphic organizer separately.
Each lesson comes with a visually appealing PowerPoint presentation and three graphic organizer notebook pages – separate answer key included! Here are other lessons in this unit you may be interested in:
Lesson 1: Northern Industry v Cotton Kingdom
Lesson 2: Nat Turner Slave Codes
Lesson 3: Reformers and the Underground Railroad
Lesson 4: Missouri Compromise
Lesson 5: Compromise of 1850
Lesson 6: Kansas Nebraska Act Bleeding Kansas
Lesson 7: Dred Scott Decision
Lesson 8: Lincoln Douglas Debates
Lesson 9: Fort Sumter Southern Secession
UNIT: Slavery and a Dividing Nation
Be sure to follow my store by clicking on the GREEN STAR next to my ZoopDog picture to receive notifications of new products. Thanks for stopping by my store!