Also included in
- Energy and Electricity Generation - Science Reading Article Bundle - This resource contains 5 reading comprehension articles and is suitable for high school students as well as strong middle-school students. Tackle literacy and science by having your students read and answer questions from a scienti$23.16$30.93Save $7.77
- This resource currently contains 100+ reading comprehension articles (more are added each week) for students in grades 8 and up. Tackle literacy and science by having your students read and answer questions from a scientific article. Each article highlights and explains key concepts for students’ un$241.00$480.06Save $239.06
- Nonrenewable Energy Sources - A 5E Lesson Bundle for elementary, middle, and high school students. Everything you need in one tidy package. This fully-editable, no prep bundle follows the 5E model and provides step-by-step instructions on how to implement it in your classroom. Each included resource$14.98$27.94Save $12.96
- Electricity and Magnetism Unit. This unit includes a full lesson set for complete coverage of Electricity, Circuit, Magnetic Fields, Motors and Generators, and Electrical Safety along with associated activities. You'll also find a full, day-by-day breakdown of how I teach this unit in my own classro$37.47$73.99Save $36.52
- Energy and Energy Production - Scientific Reading Comprehension Articles - This resource contains 9 reading comprehension articles for Grades 8 and older students as well as younger kids with higher developed learning levels. The readings inside this bundle focus on how we use energy in our homes, w$17.97$35.73Save $17.76
- This Physics I Curriculum takes you day-by-day through the materials I use to teach my physics 1 (grade 11 physics) students. It includes all the lessons, activities, quizzes, and tests I use to teach my students.Your bundle also includes a complete, day-by-day walkthrough that I use to teach my cla$172.97$345.11Save $172.14
Reading Comprehension - Disciplinary Literacy. Tackle literacy and science by having your students read and answer questions from a scientific article. Questions include knowledge (direct from the paper), thinking, connecting and open-ended varieties.
- Brief history
- How it works
- Current applications
- Environmental impact
- Its future
- "Great reading"
- "was great for a sub lesson"
- "Fantastic resource"
- "Very useful resource!"
- "Really enjoyed this activity and reading. Thanks."
- "Great reading"
Google Classroom and Distance Learning Ready
- This resource is perfect for in-class or distance learning and integrates seamlessly with Google Classroom.
- Automatically creates a copy of the reading and puts it directly into your Google Drive with a single click.
- Purchase --> Open --> Click --> Assign to your students
- The reading also includes a Microsoft Word and PDF version.
Having all three options allow you to assign the reading to your students without worrying about formatting issues as all the work has already been done for you. It also allows you, as well as your students, to access everything no matter where you are or what kind of equipment is being used.
The Problem You Face - Not having the time to properly teach scientific literacy (disciplinary literacy) or improve your students reading comprehension and analysis skills.
This fully editable, NO PREP reading comprehension article is composed of relevant, applicable and engaging reading activities which can be used to:
• introduce your topic
• improve your students reading comprehension and scientific literacy skills
• improve your students' analysis skills
• provide an extension activity to students who move at a faster pace
• provide extra credit to students in need
• measure your students literacy skills
This resource will take your students between 50-75 minutes to complete and includes some open-ended questions. An answer key is also included for your reference.
You might also be interested in the following individual reading comprehension articles:
Earth and Space:
Ecology and the Environment:
Praise For My Reading Comprehension Resources:
"Perfect for informational text reading standards! Thanks!"
"I teach middle school science and need to include informational text in my classroom. These readings are great for independent reading for my grade level and upper-level readers. The articles address CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RST.6-8.1 (Citing specific textual evidence to support analysis of science and technical texts.) and CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RST.6-8.10 (By the end of grade 8, read and comprehend science/technical texts in the grades 6-8 text complexity band independently and proficiently.). The leveled questions allow you to subtly assign the questions to different ability students working in a group.
Topics are relevant to the students and current. Graphics draw the students into the article.
I'm going to have one printed and waiting in for my substitute folder too!
"Thanks for putting together a wonderful resource."
"I teach Special Education high school science in Maryland in a special school for children with learning disabilities/Autism. I liked the readings and I think students could relate to the topics. I know these are too high a reading level for most of my students and I would read it out loud and highlight the important information together. I would not be able to use the higher order thinking questions (which I like) with these kids. For my high students (very few of these in my school :), I really like these especially how you noted where you got the information which if they were inclined, they could go back to the original source. I like that you have scaffolded the questions and I would only be able to use these with a handful of students, but I think in a regular high school classroom (I spent many years in regular ed) these are spot on. Thank you for sharing."
Each summary is rich with age appropriate content (grades 8 and up) and is 2.5-3 pages long (13-font). Following each is a list of 8-13 questions along with the answer key, which will help guide your students understanding.
How this product will help your students:
- Improve their scientific and disciplinary literacy skills
- Improve their reading comprehension and scientific knowledge
- Give them insights into important scientific concepts
- Provide an extension activity for your faster moving/more gifted students
How this product will help you:
- Allow you to meet the NGSS, TEKS and Common Core Standards
- Provide you with a concise introduction to your topic
- Provide you with an engaging and easy to leave substitute plan which will keep your students engaged and on task
- Prove you a means of measuring your students' literacy skills
We don't spend enough time teaching scientific literacy to our students. This is either because we don't have the resources to do so effectively or we don't have the time. However, teaching our students to become scientifically literate is vital if we want them to succeed in life. We need them to know about the world they live in and about the issues they face. Even issues as simple as the common cold are misunderstood and can lead to the misuse of antibacterial drugs eventually rendering them ineffective.
It can be used as a tool in your teaching arsenal on a regular basis, an extension activity for your faster learners, left for a substitute in an emergency or planned absence or as an extra bit of information for a topic.
For free resources, useful teaching tips, and tools, please visit my blog -
If you have any questions please feel free to send me an email - firstname.lastname@example.org