Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing. How to unzip files.
5.1 MB | 8 pages
Looking for a fun way to teach prehistoric fossils in art? This packet is a cross-curricular project has it all for you and your kiddos!
This packet includes six pages of useful teacher tools:
1. A handout on fossils, including some background info on how fossils were created, lists some vocabulary, and asks a higher order question based on the vocab and formation overview;
2. Fossil response sheet, where you can assess students' understanding with sequencing events, and providing a written response;
3. Fossil lingo sheet, where students will fill in the blanks with the vocabulary words in this unit--students also choose one word to further explain in their own words;
4. Lesson plan for a fossil-making project using air-dry clay--includes essential questions, learner objectives, national art standards as well as Common Core connections (for 3rd grade but easily adaptable);
5. Rubric for assessment at the end of the unit;
6. Fossil cookie recipe sheet for use as an extension activity (at school or at home)
I find this helpful in using as a basic structure for interacting with students, leading discussion, and introducing this new concept to them. I use it with third grade, however it could be used in upper elementary too.
This is a perfect example of how to teach interdisciplinary projects! Art, science, and ELA all in one--a great tool for Common Core!
ZIP includes: a PDF file as well as Publisher formats.
Please follow me and leave feedback! Check my store for additional smART resources! :)
See this product in action on my art education blog here: http://mrskart.blogspot.com/2013/09/third-grade-archaeologists.html