Fossils Informational Text and Hands-on Unit
What educators are saying
Also included in
- This NGSS Bundle for 4th grade will give your students a year's worth of engaging science lessons, readings, worksheets, slideshows, labs, games, and more! Fourth-grade students will love these NGSS-aligned activities! You Save 20% by purchasing them here together. These resources are designed to adPrice $85.35Original Price $106.69Save $21.34
- Are you looking to teach Earth Science to Upper Elementary Students? This bundle covers all the Earth Science standards for fourth-grade NGSS. Students will love these Earth Science Activities! Students will love these engaging activities and labs. You save 20% by purchasing as a bundle!This bundlePrice $45.72Original Price $54.90Save $9.18
- This huge resource includes all of my resources for 3rd-grade NGSS Life Science. This collection of resources cover the life science standards for NGSS. Students will explore in hands-on, inquiry-based lessons. They will read nonfiction scientific passages in a close reading format. They will respoPrice $41.12Original Price $51.40Save $10.28
- This fourth-grade NGSS science bundle includes all of my resources for 4th-grade NGSS. It also includes fourth-grade resources for reading informational text. Teachers and school districts will love this Huge fourth-grade NGSS Bundle with a wide variety of labs, centers, nonfiction articles, and morPrice $137.51Original Price $171.89Save $34.38
- Fourth Grade Utah SEEd Bundle This resource bundles all my 4th-grade resources for Utah SEEd into one package with a discount of 20%. You save time by purchasing this from someone who understands Utah SEEd. Would you like to know more about Utah SEEd? This huge bundle includes a year’s worth of rPrice $101.39Original Price $126.74Save $25.35
- This bundle includes both my printable Fossil Unit and my Online Fossil Unit in Google Slides. Purchasing them together will save you 20%. These two units have different activities. This is a resource for someone who wants to use both a digital online unit and a printable unit.It includes:FossilPrice $10.32Original Price $13.40Save $3.08
- This Bundle for Utah SEEd 4th grade includes science resources for each strand and standard. Each unit included addresses specific Utah SEEd standards for 4th grade. This bundle also includes an assessment that can be used at the end of each strand. Save 20% by purchasing this as a bundle. Save lotsPrice $55.20Original Price $67.00Save $11.80
- NGSS Third Grade Bundle: This bundle covers all the standards for NGSS 3rd grade for the entire year. Students will love these engaging third-grade science lessons. Each unit meets one or more of the NGSS third-grade standards. Are you looking for resources made by someone who understands NGSS? I haPrice $72.36Original Price $90.45Save $18.09
- NGSS Fourth Grade Bundle: This bundle covers all the standards for NGSS 4th grade for the entire year. If you teach fourth grade in an NGSS state, you need this bundle! Do you want an NGSS 4th Grade Science Bundle from someone who really understands NGSS? My resources use phenomena to engage studentPrice $79.56Original Price $85.40Save $5.84
- This is a custom bundle for the Arizona Science Standards for 4th Grade. This resource covers all the standards for Arizona Science 4th Grade. Arizona has a specific set of standards that align with the resources I have included. Each standard is addressed by one or more resources. Based on the ArizPrice $60.28Original Price $75.35Save $15.07
Fossils Unit: Students will be completely engaged with the rich science information and fossil activities! Includes fossil worksheets and fossil interactive notebook flaps. This fossil integrated unit allows students to participate in critical thinking, read nonfiction passages, and engage in hands-on activities about fossils.
This resource includes:
- directions for making a fossil replica
- five pages of informational text passages
- comprehension questions
- response pages
- answer keys
- a review game
This resource addresses the disciplinary core ideas of Biological Evolution: Unity and Diversity and Earth's Place in the Universe. See more about teaching Fossils as Evidence of Earth's History.
The labs use inexpensive materials such as a plastic bowl, modeling clay, seashell, and plaster of Paris (very inexpensive and can be purchased in any craft or home improvement store).
NGSS 3-LS4-1. Analyze and interpret data from fossils to provide evidence of the organisms and the environments in which they lived long ago.
NGSS 4-ESS1-1. Identify evidence from patterns in rock formations and fossils in rock layers to support an explanation for changes in a landscape over time.
Also aligned with
Utah SEEdStandard 4.1.3 Analyze and interpret data from fossils to provide evidence of the in organisms and environments from long ago. Emphasize using the structures of fossils to make inferences about ancient organisms. Examples of fossils and environments could include comparing a trilobite with a horseshoe crab in an ocean environment or using a fossil footprint to determine the size of a dinosaur. (LS4.A)
Standard 4.1.4 Engage in argument from evidence based on in rock layers and fossils found in those layers to support an explanation that environments have changed over time. Emphasize the relationship between fossils and past environments. Examples could include tropical plant fossils found in Arctic areas and rock layers with marine shell fossils found above rock layers with land plant fossils. (ESS1.C)
This resource is also aligned with CCSS for reading informational text and includes five pages of nonfiction passages on fossils and fossil evidence. Students will learn how fossils are formed and about the different types of fossils.
This resource includes the nonfiction passages, response pages with text-dependent questions, lesson plans, hands-on activity to make a fossil, interactive notebook flaps, answer keys, and a review game. A review game can be used as a science center or for fast finishers. The review game is self-checking.
Great reading passage with comprehension questions on fossils!
This is a printable unit. If you are looking for an online unit on the same topic see Fossil Distance Learning Unit
The following science concepts are addressed:
fossils as evidence of life long ago
types of fossils
true form fossils
how fossils are formed
sedimentary rock layers
changes in the landscape over time
what we can learn from the fossil record
Science and Engineering Practices Used by Student Include:
Analyzing and interpreting data
Engaging in argument from evidence
Obtaining, evaluating, and communicating information
Reading Skills Include:
Reading Back In the Test
Supporting Claims With Evidence
Please leave feedback on this resource. Leaving feedback will earn you valuable TPT credit that you can use for purchasing future resources from TPT.
This resource is also sold in the following Bundles at 20% Savings
4th Grade Bundle at 20% Savings
Earth Science Bundle at 20% Savings
This resource is also available in 3rd Grade Complete Life Science Unit
Save 20% by purchasing in the Utah SEEd 4th grade bundle.
Save 20% by purchasing in the NGSS fourth-grade bundle.
By Lynda R. Williams
Please see my other great resources:
Third Grade Close Read and Lab: Why do some animals live in groups? 3-LS2-1
Desert Habitat Close Read With Interactive Notebook Flaps
CLOSE Reading Why Do leaves Change Color In the Fall