Fossils and Resources – A Fourth Grade SMARTBoard Introduction is a SMARTBoard 4th grade level instructional presentation
It includes: a SMARTBoard presentation of the text along with two fully interactive slides that are also available in PDF format to print and issue as classwork, homework, or attach/incorporate into an interactive notebook.
The presentation includes:
• Introduction fossil and resource terminology (fossil, amber, mold, cast, imprint, fossil fuel, nonrenewable resource, and renewable resource).
• How scientists study fossils and how they some of their interpretations of data they collect
• Explanation of geologic time and how it relates to rock layers
• Fossil fuels along with some of the negative results from their use
• How coal is formed
• Description of alternative energy
The interactive/review slides and printables:
• Activity one has students identifying terminology through a matching activity. Terms included are fossil, amber, mold, cast, imprint, fossil fuel, nonrenewable resource, renewable resource, geologic time, and alternative energy.
• Activity two has students identifying/matching 5 types of alternative energy. There is also a short writing assignment (listing for SMARTBoard) where students discuss a time that they have seen alternative energy in use, where, and how they thought it was being used. If you feel that the all of the students have not seen alternative energy in use before, the listing/SMARTBoard activity would probably be of more use than the PDF version so they can learn through other student’s experiences.