These crossword puzzles are based on vocabulary from FOUND--The Missing: Book 1. The first three puzzles focus on one word per chapter. Puzzle #1 covers the Prologue through Chapter 11. Puzzle #2 covers Chapter 12 through 22. Puzzle #3 covers Chapter 23 through Chapter 33.
Every answer in the first three puzzles is a SYNONYM for a challenging word, such as THEORY, SURREPTITIOUSLY, CLONES, and ENTERPRISING. The original sentence in which the word appears has been provided in the clue list along with the chapter in which it appears. Students are encouraged to use the context of the sentence to solve puzzles.
The fourth puzzle is comprehensive, covering the Prologue through Chapter 33. In order to solve this puzzle, students must provide either a SYNONYM or an ANTONYM for the challenging word. Here are some examples of clues from the comprehensive puzzle.
Audible (antonym) (Ch. 4) Answer: SILENT
Limbo: state of ___ (synonym) (Ch. 33) Answer: NOTHINGNESS
Receding: moving ___ (antonym) (Ch. 30) Answer: AHEAD
Curative (synonym) (Ch. 14) Answer: HEALING
The first three puzzles can be used as pre- or postreading activities. Fun and challenging!
Here are my unique products over FOUND:
• FOUND—THE MISSING: BOOK 1; 3 Vocabulary Crosswords Plus 1 Comprehensive! Students provide synonyms for challenging words from three different sections of the book. The comprehensive puzzle includes all 34 words and requires students to either provide a synonym or an antonym for each clue.
• Bookmarks Plus: FOUND—THE MISSING: BOOK 1; A Handy Little Reading Aid! Helps students keep track of characters and provides definitions for new words—and so much more! Students and teachers alike are delighted with these handy reading aids!
• FOUND—THE MISSING: BOOK 1—10 Word Merges-One “Word” Becomes Two! Two-word phrases from the story are blended into one “word.” Students decipher the phrases. Harder than it sounds, but a good spelling workout!
• FOUND—THE MISSING: BOOK 1—10 Quotefalls—A Great Spelling Workout! Each quotefall is a quotation from the story. Students form individual words of the quotation by transferring letters from above the double line of the puzzle grid to squares in the columns directly below. Quotefalls can be challenging, but students love working them—and they’re great spelling workouts!
• FOUND—THE MISSING: BOOK 1; 3 Reading-for-Detail Crosswords—Fun! Divides book into three sections so the puzzles can be used during the unit. A great way to check students’ reading skills!
• FOUND—THE MISSING: BOOK 1; 6 Word Searches with Hidden Message! Categories: At the Airport; In Chip's Basement; At School; In the Library; At the Conference; In the Cave. Clues are taken from events surrounding that setting.
Word-Wise Language Arts Resources
—100s of unique products over most-taught literature!
Fun Teaching~Fun Learning!