Many younger students have basic concept goals, but finding activities to target these goals can be tough. My students love this activity packet, and I hope yours do, too!
This packet contains the following: prepositions, same/different, big vs. little, and identifying various basic concepts like cold/hot, sharp/dull, long/short. Included is a receptive language sheet that asks the student to follow simple one-step directions. There's also a describing mat with various 4th of July objects to describe. Finally there is an open-ended game board (4th of July theme) that is played similar to Candy Land.
• Prepositions: There are four objects on the page - a 4th of July girl, balloons, a 4th of July boy, and a firecracker. The student has to select the correct objects to use from the field of four and must place the first item correctly with the second item listed. 12 cards total.
• Also included in the prepositions section are open-ended preposition cards to use around your speech room/classroom. The cards have an star and have a direction like, "Put this card above the ______" so that you can laminate it, fill in the blank, and have the student follow the directions. 6 cards total.
• Same vs. Different: On each card the student must tell which two objects are the same and which are different. If they are a little more advanced with this skill, you can have the student tell you how the objects are the same and different. Some cards are more obvious and some are a little tricky. 12 cards total.
• Big vs. Little: Four big objects and four little objects on each page (2 pages total). The student must cut out each box and sort the objects into a big pile or a little pile. This could be a great activity for homework. 16 cards total.
• Receptive Language Basic Concept Tasks: a group of 4th of July children are lined up, and the student is instructed to follow directions (e.g. "point to the children with stars on their shirts." or "point to the children with brown hair."). 1 page total.
• One page of random basic concepts (hot vs. cold, short vs. long, sharp vs. dull). These cards just ask the student to identify the specified basic concept on the card. 6 cards total.
• Describing Objects and Describing Mat: 12 cards to describe along with a describing mat (decorated in stars) asking the student to identify the category, function, parts/pieces, location, color/shape/size, composition, etc.
• Open-ended Star Game: This is played similar to Candy Land. There are three pages of stars. The student must select a card from a pile and will receive either a red star, a blue star, or a yellow star. The student must then move to that item on the board leading his/her token all the way down to the end. You can select which color/object will be the winner, and the student with the most of that specific color/object (red, blue, or yellow star) will be the winner!
Please be sure to leave feedback! Enjoy!
Please visit Breanna's Speech Blog
for more activities.
Be sure to check out other basic concepts products:
Halloween Basic ConceptsValentine's Day Basic ConceptsChristmas Basic ConceptsSt. Patrick's Day Basic Concepts