Need help in addition or subtraction of fractions with like denominators? This fractions activity includes 40 task cards that deal with adding and subtracting fractions. Students add or subtract, then determine if the fraction is in lowest terms, and if it isn't, they simplify it. An answer sheet and nine extra practice pages are included in this packet. Three pages cover adding simple fractions, three cover subtracting simple fractions, and three are mixed practice. Also, 16 of the cards and 3 of the worksheets use visual representations of the fractions to help students solve the problems. The cards are in color, but have been tested and will print well in black and white.
Ideas for using these task cards:
1) Use in a center.
2) Use for small group instruction.
3) Use as assessment for checking student's ability to move on to the next skill.
4) Set out for use by those who finish their work early.
5) Use for partner work. Students choose a card and their partner works the problem out on a white board or scrap paper. Check each others answers.
6) Use these as a part of whole class lessons.
7) Play Scoot!
There's more where these came from! Check out some of my other task cards for math!
Fraction Files - Equivalent Fractions Task Cards
Fraction Files - Comparing Fractions Task Cards
Fraction Files - Solving for the Missing Variable Fractions Task Cards
Fraction Files - Ordering Fractions Task Cards
Fraction Files - Converting Mixed Numbers to Improper Fractions Task Cards
Fraction Files - Converting Improper Fractions to Mixed Numbers Task Cards
Fraction Files - Simplifying Fractions Task Cards