Teach and consolidate fractions using this pack of fraction games, worksheets and posters. Begin with teaching your year one and two students to identify equal and unequal parts before moving onto teaching wholes and halves, quarters/fourths and finally eighths. Use the worksheets to support your introduction of the fraction concepts and then consolidate it using the games and activities included in this pack.
Check out the blog post to read more.
The following fraction concepts are addressed:
Equal or Unequal
Children develop an understanding that fractions are equal parts as they identify equal and unequal parts in worksheets and games.
1. Cut and paste the shapes into the correct columns.
2. Colour the shapes that show equal parts.
1. Candy Shop - Cover the correct shape according to the spin.
2. Equal or Unequal card sort.
Wholes and Halves
Children develop an understanding of halves through partitioning shapes into two equal pieces and sorting halves and wholes.
1. Partition the Shapes
2. Cut and paste the fraction cards into the correct columns.
3. Colour one half of each shape.
4. Interactive notebook - Children partition the shapes into halves.
Children are introduced to quarters. There are worksheets and that help them identify quarters, partition shapes into quarters, and identify quarters, halves and wholes in a set. Equivalence is also introduced. After using the worksheets, let them play the games included.
1. Partition the shapes into quarters.
2. Colour the shapes that show quarters.
3. Colour 1 quarter of each shape.
4. Cut and paste the shapes into the correct columns.
5. Interactive notebook - Children partition the shapes into quarters.
6. Cut and paste fractions of a set using wholes, halves and quarters.
7. Colour the pictures to match the fractions (fractions of a set).
8. Colour 1 half and 2 quarters and record the findings. (Equivalence of fractions)
9. Identify the pictures that have half of the shape coloured and record the ways the fraction can be written. (Equivalence of fractions)
1. Sea Fractions - Identify and cover the correct fraction of a set of objects. (whole, halves, 1 fourth, 2 fourths, 3 fourths/quarters)
2. Rockets - Cover the correct fraction according to the spin. (whole, halves, fourths)
3. Farm Fractions - Match the fraction name to the shape that shows that fraction. (1 whole, 1 half, 1 fourth, 2 fourths, 3 fourths/quarters)
Use the worksheets to partition shapes into eighths and to colour eighths. The games included help consolidate the children’s knowledge of eighths, wholes, halves and quarters.
1. Partition the shapes into eighths.
2. Colour 1 eighth of each shape.
3. Colour eighths of each shape or set.
4. Interactive notebook - Children partition the shapes into eighths.
5. Equivalence of fractions
6. Equivalence of fractions – cut and paste
1. Bumble Bees - Cover the correct fraction according to the spin. (1 half, 1 and 3 fourths/quarters, 1 and 2 eighths)
2. Alien Adventures - Children must say the fraction they have landed on. (wholes, halves, eighths and quarters)
3. Humpty’s Wall - Children Colour in the correct fraction according to their spin. (1 whole, 1 half, 1, 2 and 3 fourths, 1, 2 and 3 eighths)
4. Fraction Game - Children match the fraction card to the correct board. This game can be used with just the wholes, halves and quarters boards to make it suitable for grade one.
5. Fraction Hunt - Use the fraction cards to play ‘Scoot’ or use as a ‘write the room’ activity or simply place in your math centre. A recording sheet is provided along with an answer key. The answer key is written both with using fraction names and fraction symbols (for older classes).
-what is a fraction?
- fraction bar to eighths
- fraction bar to tenths
Overall this pack contains:
7 Fraction games to consolidate the early learning of fractions
Become a follower and take advantage of my Early Bird Special. All new products are 50% off for the first day of listing
Look for the green star
near the top of any page within my store and click it to become a follower. You will then receive customized email updates about this store.
Would you like to receive TPT credit to use on future purchases?
Just go to your My Purchases
page (you may need to login). Beside each purchase you'll see a Provide Feedback
button. Simply click it and you will be taken to a page where you can give a quick rating and leave a short comment for the product. I value your feedback greatly as it helps me determine which products are most valuable for your classroom so I can create more for you.