Need a fun way to practice or assess your students learning? Why not provide them a board game to prove their understanding of fraction operations?
* Suggestion: place in a file folder.
• For 2 to 4 players
• You will need:
• Game pieces for each player
• Dice – two regular 6-sided (one to determine the spaces to move & one for the whole number in a mixed number – if required), two 10-sided (one for the numerator and one for the denominator of each fraction), and one blank 6-sided (4 sides labeled for each operation - +, -, x, ÷; one side labeled “Choose One” for the player to choose one operation they wish to perform; and one side labeled “Choose Two” for the player to choose two operations they wish to perform.)
• Put your game pieces on START.
• Players roll game dice and move that number of spaces, then roll each die based on what the space says (roll only to create fractions, roll to create mixed numbers, roll the operation die to determine the operations used…).
• Player solves the problem and all players check the answer.
• Player must solve the problem correctly or they may not move off of the space at their next turn.
• It is now the other player’s turn.
• The first player to reach FINISH wins!