This packet includes 7 sorts that cover 4 fraction topics:
- Equal or Unequal pieces (2 versions):
Students sort figures by whether they are split into equal pieces making fractions or unequal pieces.
- How is it Split (2 sorts):
Students sort figures by how many pieces they are split into.
Sort 1: halves, thirds, fourths, sixths & eighths
Sort 2: fifths, sevenths, ninths, tenths & twelfths
- Comparing to a Benchmark (3 sorts):
Students sort by whether the fraction shown is less than, equivalent to or greater than a benchmark number.
Sort 1: Compare to 1/2
Sort 2: Compare to 1/4
Sort 3: Compare to 1
- So Many Ways to Say It (1 sort):
Students sort by the whole number an improper fraction is equivalent to.
About this Packet
- Each section of this packet begins with a “Teacher Tips” page. Please read these before printing to make sure you are selecting the pages you need.
- I know that every teacher and every class is different. Therefore, I like to provide options so you can complete these activities in a way that works best for you. Each sort can be done in 3 different formats. Pictures are included on the tips page to help you see what each format looks like completed. Choose the format that works best for your purposes:
Learning Posters: Use construction paper to make a chart for sorting. This is a great choice if you need to limit copies.
Print and Go: Use the sorting mats included in each section.
Interactive Notebooks: Cut and fold pages in the notebook to create sections to complete the sort.
- If you have access to tablets or digital cameras, you can use this technology to save even more paper. Have students complete the sort in a center (without gluing), and take a picture of their answer. Instruct students put their name tag in the picture. You can review the pictures to assess students’ understanding.
Download the preview to see the table contents and teacher tips (including photos) for each sort.
This product is part my Color, Cut and Paste Bundle. Click here to see the bundle. You can save money buy purchasing the bundle instead of the individual products.
This resource was created for use with CCSS 3.NF.1, 3.NF.3.a, 3.NF.3.b, 3.NF.3.c and 3.NF.3d. Daisy Fryer at Not Your Mother’s Math Class is the sole creator of this product and does not claim endorsement or association with the creators of the CCSS standards.