These 12 games have everything you need for teaching fifth grade fractions for only $1 each! There are 1-3 games for each Common Core standard (5.NF.A.1, 5.NF.A.2, 5.NF.B.3, 5.NF.B.4, 5.NF.B.5, 5.NF.B.6, 5.NF.B.7), covering key concepts such as:
-Fractions on a number line
-Finding common denominators
-Adding and subtracting fractions with unlike denominators
-Adding and subtracting mixed numbers
-Interpreting a fraction as division of the numerator by the denominator
-Multiplying fractions and mixed numbers times whole numbers
-Multiplying fractions and mixed numbers times other fractions and mixed numbers
-Finding the area of a rectangle with fractional side lengths
-Interpreting multiplication as scaling/resizing
-Dividing a whole number by a fraction
-Dividing a fraction by a whole number
-Solving word problems involving addition and subtraction of fractions and whole numbers
-Solving word problems involving multiplication and division of fractions and whole numbers
Although the games are perfect for two player math stations, math centers, math tubs, etc., you can engage your students in meaningful problem solving discussions by having them all play the same game at the same time for about 10 minutes per day. This is a math partner game routine I've created and explained thoroughly in the product download (click the "Preview" button to the right to read about it now.) These are the three main benefits to having all kids play the same game at the same time: 1) You can conduct mini-lessons and strategy discussions around shared experiences before and after game play, 2) You can focus on facilitating critical thinking and observing students' problem solving attempts during game play, and 3) Students play the same game for a week, so you have lots of targeted opportunities for reinforcing higher-level thinking skills, identifying and addressing misconceptions, and scaffolding student learning.
There are so many games included in this product that you can play some during math partner game routines, use some as small group lessons or whole class lesson activities, place some in your math centers, and even send some home for students to play with their families! The game cards and resources can double as student manipulatives during math lessons. Each and every one of these versatile games features:
- Integration of higher-level thinking and critical thinking skills (not just rote practice)
- Hands-on activities through which kids actively construct knowledge: no worksheets!
- Options for open-ended game play so that students are not "finished" until time is up
- "Challenge" activities to extend game play and/or differentiate it
- "Math Talk" questions/prompts to encourage students to analyze strategies and reflect orally or in writing about what they're learning
These two player math games were created for (not retro-fitted to) the increased rigor of the CCSS, so they will be challenging for most students. The games are designed to help you model and reinforce the math practices and core content skills that students will need when solving complex, multi-step word problems. Here's what you'll get in the product download:
* 20 pages of info and forms that contain everything you need to get started with math partner games. There are blank partner game lists, tips (with photos!) for how to create/ store/ organize/ distribute/ collect the games, and lots of ideas for how the games can be used for skill-based mini lessons and math journal reflections.
* 12 pages of game instructions: there's one page for each game, featuring the materials needed, directions for game play, a Challenge activity, Math Talk
questions/prompts, the CCSS alignment, and student-friendly "I Can" statements.
* 39 pages of rockstar/music-themed game boards and mats, game cards, spinners, and other colorful and fun materials for game play. Most of the materials are open-ended and can be used in lots of different ways so you have fewer items to print and create. The only additional items you need to provide are page protector sheets, Vis-à-vis or dry erase markers, paperclips to make spinners, and some sort of fraction manipulatives (like fraction bars or strips).
UPDATED: PRINT AND GO! You now get a zip folder with purchase that includes individual PDFs for each game! If you only want to print and use one game at a time, you can easily print just the PDF with that game’s instructions and materials.
NOTE: I have adapted each game concept to meet the level of rigor required at the corresponding grade level, and no two games are exactly alike. However, because is some overlap in the standards between grades 3-5, some of the games and materials in the 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade fraction products are very similar. Please keep this in mind when considering whether to purchase games for multiple grade levels.
I'm in the process of creating Common Core aligned math partner games for all CCSS domains in grades 1-5. If you'd like to receive an email from TpT when I've added a new grade level or skill/concept to the math partner games product series, click "Follow" at the top of my store page.
See what other teachers are saying!
Best games ever. My 5th graders finally understood fractions after playing these thank you!!!!!! - The Whimsical Teacher
Can't wait to cover all the material so we can use these games. Used the decimal games and the students enjoyed it. Thank you! - Brandi Fleckenstein
Excellent Maths games. A lot of care and attention has been taken to ensure you can use these the best way possible for your students.
This is exactly what I was looking for when planning fun workshop stations for my 5th grade math class. Thank you! - Mrs. Abby Smith
This set has been useful. I have used the fraction cards extensively with my intervention kiddos, with much success. - Virginia K.
It is great to find games that are so helpful to my students understanding of fractions. - Karen Fitz
My students don't even realize they're learning while they are playing games! Thank you! - Ally Blackwell
Good games. I particularly like the Math Talk questions as a way to debrief the activities and get kids to articulate their thinking. - Carla Hoff
You might also like:
Be sure to check out my website where there are hundreds of pages of classroom management resources that make teaching more effective, efficient, and enjoyable! You'll find photos, activities, printable forms/posters, and more.
If you like this product, please consider rating it! I am new to TpT and would love your help in spreading the word about my resources.