This Fractions, Decimals and Percentages Number Line Activity is an interactive resource intended to help students better understand the following concepts:
- proper fractions
- improper and mixed fractions
- connections between the various numerical representions
- determining the "whole" of a fraction
Teachers can choose from 48 crisp images and 48 number cards those cards which will work best for their particular students as they work together to develop a number line. Younger students can work with representations between 0 and 1, while older students can be given cards with representations up to 2 or 3 (ie. 12/10, or 150%). A detailed lesson plan is included, along with examples of student work.
This activity can be used in several different ways:
- whole class
- small group or as a center activity
- as a diagnostic activity at the beginning of a unit
- as a review activity at the end of a unit
This very engaging rich task provides multiple entry points for students to begin the task, and as they work together to create this number line they will be involved in deep conversations about the mathematics concepts.