Pattern Blocks - Fractions # 1
The Size of the Whole Affects The Size of the Parts
Exploration and Assessment
1. Give students time to explore the relationship between the sizes of the pattern blocks.
- Ask occasional thought-provoking questions.
2. Move discussion to a guided “fraction talk”...
- If the Hexagon is equal to one whole, which of the shapes is equal to ½ ?
- If the Trapezoid is equal to one whole, what is the value of the Triangle?
- If the Triangle is equal to ½, which shape is equal to 1 whole?
3. Give students the Assessment to check for understanding.
- Allow students use of the pattern blocks to support completion of assessment.