Also included in
- EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO GET STARTED WITH A FRESH SEQUENCE OF GRAMMAR INSTRUCTION! Ready for grammar instruction to be enjoyable for both teachers and students? Tired of boring grammar lessons that don't help students become stronger writers? This flexible grammar activities bundle has everything you$108.54$135.67Save $27.13
Looking for a way to stop fragments and run-ons once and for all? Engage students in grammar lessons that stick with this scaffolded complete sentences unit!
Students progress from complete sentences to fragments to run ons and even venture into other common sentence errors, like choppy and stringy sentences. Each step of this unit is complete with direct instruction, formative assessment opportunities, and a variety of practice activities. The unit concludes with a simple assessment.
FRAGMENTS AND RUN-ONS UNIT CONTENTS:
- Overview: This file provides step by step directions for a progression of using the activities effectively.
- Complete Sentences: mini lesson and alphabet race
- Fragments: mini lesson, sorting activity, worksheet, and YA literature excerpt analysis
- Choppy Sentences: mini lesson and task cards with examples from literature
- Run-Ons: mini lesson, worksheet, photograph activity
- Stringy Sentences: mini lesson, worksheet
- Review: diagnosing sick sentences, coloring activity
- Assessment: self-grading google form or traditional format
- Answer Keys: editable answer keys are included for everything
- Digital and Print: digital and print options are included for all activities!
Throughout the unit, students have opportunities to analyze examples of sentence errors in literature and to reflect on their own writing, revising fragments and run-ons. (Journal prompts are included as part of the mini lessons!)
Why does it work?
This unit can add power to your fragments and run-ons lessons because it contains...
1. Scaffolded instruction
2. Connections to writing and reading
3. Relevant practice opportunities
4. Engaging repetition
5. Increasing complexity from beginning to end
5. A variety in depth of knowledge
Is this editable?
Yes! This unit is editable.
What is the format? Digital or print?
Upon download, you will find a PDF with links to Google Drive resources, including Slides, Docs, and Forms. If you prefer to use any of the mini lessons as PowerPoint files, you can download them as such. If you would like to use any of the Docs as Word Documents or PDFs, you can download them that way. The only resource that is not in downloadable format is the Google Form assessment, but it is also included as a printable Google Slides file.
What grades is this intended for?
This resource is intended for middle and high school students.
How long would it take to teach this unit?
This unit would take approximately 7 days to complete with a 45 minute class, but please account for variations due to class size and class time frame. While this fragments and run-ons unit is full of a variety of lessons and activities, you may determine your students do not need everything included. Omitting some of the activities would shorten the unit. You may also choose to organize them as learning station activities instead of progressing through the unit linearly as suggested.
If you like this sentence errors resource, you may be interested in other grammar units in my store, like these:
Find more grammar teaching resources for middle and high school here.
Looking for ideas for sequencing grammar instruction effectively? I wrote about my approach here.
A Couple Tips:
* Be sure to click the "follow" button that is located next to my picture so that you can hear about sales and new products!
* By providing feedback on your purchased products, you can earn points, which ultimately translate into cash toward future purchases...bonus! Plus, I'd love to hear from you.
©Reading and Writing Haven
All rights reserved by author.
Duplication limited to single classroom use only.
Electronic distribution limited to single classroom use only.