These Framing Routines are classroom tested to help students:
- understand that some molecules form geometric shapes that create mineral crystals.
- list characteristics of minerals.
- describe the process that results in mineral formation.
- explain how minerals are classified, and list major groups of
- use scientific processes and inquiry to directly support concepts on minerals.
Teachers use the Strategic Instruction Model (SIM) Framing Routine to transform abstract main ideas and key topics into a concrete representation that helps students think about and talk about the key topic and essential related information. SIM is about promoting effective teaching and learning of critical content in schools. SIM strives to help teachers make decisions about what is of greatest importance, what we can teach students to help them to learn, and how to teach them well.