- This unit has recently been redesigned to meet the new AP English Literature course requirements! It aligns with AP English Literature Unit 6 (Longer Fiction or Drama Unit II).This three-week unit plan includes everything you would need to teach Mary Shelley's masterpiece, Frankenstein. Designed for$22.50$30.00Save $7.50
- ***Many of the resources in this bundle are currently in the process of being converted to fillable Google resources. I will update their descriptions as they are adapted and will attempt to adapt as quickly as I am able. This bundle provides first year and AP Literature teachers looking for a refre$324.50$499.00Save $174.50
- Product Description
This resource has undergone a drastic transformation to match the College Board's 2019 AP Lit requirements! It aligns to Unit 6 - Long Fiction II in the AP Lit CED.
These notes guide students on a study of Mary Shelley's gothic novel, Frankenstein, separated into daily notes and activities. Each day's lesson is composed of:
- An anticipatory mini-lesson, focused on an essential skill from the AP Lit requirements. These mini-lessons include discussions of Romanticism, subtext, the Prometheus allusion, an ongoing analysis of Paradise Lost, rising action, the meaning of an epiphany, a Byronic hero, and more!
- Quote Analysis
- Notes from each chapter, regarding plot, characterization, themes, and other literary elements
- Discussion Questions
This resource also comes with a beautifully designed student note packet (for those teaching online, see info about the hyperdoc, below). Students use these notes to complete pre-reading homework, take notes on each day's lesson, and to record their own thoughts during each day's discussion.
This resource also includes:
- An introductory lesson, introducing the life of Mary Shelley, previewing themes, explaining the criteria of a gothic novel, and providing an overview of Frankenstein's frame narrative construction.
- A short slideshow explaining how studying quotes can help deepen and improve literary analysis
- A list of the AP Lit essential skills met in the mini-lessons
- A teacher key providing explanation and answers for all questions posed in the notes
I've also overhauled the notes and the handout into an interactive Google Slide presentation called a hyperdoc. This resource is perfect for those teaching online or in a hybrid situation.
The notes' mini-lessons align with Unit 6 (Long Fiction or Drama Unit II) of the AP Literature CED:
- CHR 1.A – Identify and describe what specific textual details reveal about a character, that character’s perspective, and that character’s motives.
- CHR 1.C – Explain the function of contrasting characters.
- CHR 1.E – Explain how a character’s own choices, actions, and speech reveal complexities in that character, and explain the function of those complexities.
- STR 3.A – Identify and describe how plot orders events in a narrative.
- STR 3.B – Explain the function of a particular sequence of events in a plot.
- STR 3.D – Explain the function of contrasts within a text.
- NAR 4.C – Identify and describe details, diction, or syntax in a text that reveal a narrator’s or speaker’s perspective.
- NAR 4.D – Explain how a narrator’s reliability affects a narrative.
- FIG 5.C – Identify and explain the function of a symbol.
This resource is literally no prep for you!
This resource is included in my AP Lit Full Course Bundle!