Products in this Bundle (7)
showing 1-5 of 7 products
Also included in
- This bundle provides first year and AP® Literature teachers looking for a refresher with materials for teaching AP® Lit for an entire year. Before purchasing, I highly recommend you download this pacing guide and full course overview, which explains the course design and use of each resource in this$375.00$566.00Save $191.00
This unit has recently been redesigned to meet the new AP® English Literature course requirements! It aligns with AP® English Literature Unit 6 (Longer Fiction or Drama Unit II).
This three-week unit plan includes everything you would need to teach Mary Shelley's masterpiece, Frankenstein. Designed for an advanced placement course, it guides an analytical, quote-driven exploration of the text, along with multiple assessments and supplementary activities. The following is included:
- An introduction to the text and background notes, including an engaging pre-test that compares the real Frankenstein with its pop culture references
- 133 pages of detailed, guided slideshow notes, guiding students through the reading with quotes, analysis, and thought-provoking questions
- A beautifully designed student note packet, with pre-reading homework, space for quote analysis, and notes on class discussions
- An answer key to all in-class discussion questions, so you'll never be puzzled by the notes
- 2 quizzes (Chapters 1-10 and Chapters 11-20) to be given during the course of the reading, + answer keys
- 1 Socratic Seminar, including thought-provoking questions, notes on the procedure, and a scoring rubric
- 3 on-demand writing prompts with both 6-point analytical and 9-point holistic scoring rubrics
- 1 unit test + answer key
- Unit objectives, guidelines, and suggested unit plan
- 4 analytical writing reflection prompts, to be given out during the course of student reading with suggested rubric
- 1 creative response project
- 1 text-based multiple choice quiz modeled after the AP exam, which could be given in the middle of the reading of the novel or as a summative assessment at the end of the reading
- Virtual teaching tools, including a Frankenstein hyperdoc (blending the notes and handouts), 2 Frankenstein quizzes, and Frankenstein test. These can be assigned through Google Classroom and other LMSs.
The notes' mini-lessons align with Unit 6 (Long Fiction or Drama Unit II) of the AP® Literature CED:
- CHR 1.A – Identify and describe what specific textual details reveal about a character, that character’s perspective, and that character’s motives.
- CHR 1.C – Explain the function of contrasting characters.
- CHR 1.E – Explain how a character’s own choices, actions, and speech reveal complexities in that character, and explain the function of those complexities.
- STR 3.A – Identify and describe how plot orders events in a narrative.
- STR 3.B – Explain the function of a particular sequence of events in a plot.
- STR 3.D – Explain the function of contrasts within a text.
- NAR 4.C – Identify and describe details, diction, or syntax in a text that reveal a narrator’s or speaker’s perspective.
- NAR 4.D – Explain how a narrator’s reliability affects a narrative.
- FIG 5.C – Identify and explain the function of a symbol.
This unit could be used in any AP® English Literature class or scaled down (or just broadened out) for use in any 11-12 grade Literature class.
Each file is available in PDF and Microsoft Office form (Word & Powerpoint) if you need to edit any of it.
AP® is a trademark registered by the College Board, which is not affiliated with, and does not endorse, this website.