This unit has recently been redesigned to meet the new AP Lit course requirements!
This three-week unit plan includes everything you would need to teach Mary Shelley's masterpiece, Frankenstein. Designed for an advanced placement course, it guides an analytical, quote-driven exploration of the text, along with multiple assessments and supplementary activities. The following is included:
- An introduction to the text and background notes, including an engaging pre-test that compares the real Frankenstein with its pop culture references
- 133 pages of detailed, guided slideshow notes, guiding students through the reading with quotes, analysis, and thought-provoking questions
- A beautifully designed student note packet, with pre-reading homework, space for quote analysis, and notes on class discussions
- An answer key to all in-class discussion questions, so you'll never be puzzled by the notes
- 2 quizzes (Chapters 1-10 and Chapters 11-20) to be given during the course of the reading, + answer keys
- 1 Socratic Seminar, including thought-provoking questions, notes on the procedure, and a scoring rubric
- 3 on-demand writing prompts with both 6-point analytical and 9-point holistic scoring rubrics
- 1 unit test + answer key
- Unit objectives, guidelines, and suggested unit plan
- 4 analytical writing reflection prompts, to be given out during the course of student reading with suggested rubric
- 1 creative response project
- 1 text-based multiple choice quiz modeled after the AP exam, which could be given in the middle of the reading of the novel or as a summative assessment at the end of the reading
This unit could be used in any AP English Literature class or scaled down (or just broadened out) for use in any 11-12 grade Literature class.
Each file is available in PDF and Microsoft Office form (Word & Powerpoint) if you need to edit any of it.
This resource is included in my AP Lit Full Course Bundle!