NOTE: This puzzle is meant to be used before students read the book.
This crossword contains 50 challenging words from FREAK THE MIGHTY. Either as a homework assignment or as an opportunity for students to work in pairs with a thesaurus in class, it's a great way to prepare students for reading the book and, thus, understanding the story. Note that the parts of speech are included to aid students in finding the exact definition. Also note that students will benefit from the use of a thesaurus rather than a dictionary.
Examples of clues:
13. Strutting: Walking ___ (v.) ANSWER: proudly
14. Obligation (n.) ANSWER: duty
17. Perspective: ___ of view (n.) ANSWER: point
19. Injustice: Something that is ___ (n.) ANSWER: unfair
20. Facilitate: To make something ___ (v.) ANSWER: easier
FYI: This puzzle includes the 25 Words to Know from FREAK THE MIGHTY edition of Bookmarks Plus, which students can refer to for definitions as they read the story as well as a list of main characters, author information, and more. See list below.
Also, to reinforce meaning even more, I have created a synonym/antonym crossword over the same 25 words. See list below.
USE ALL THREE PRODUCTS TO REINFORCE MEANING!
Here are my unique products over FREAK THE MIGHTY! View them in my store.
* Bookmarks Plus: FREAK THE MIGHTY edition—A Handy Little Reading Aid! Helps students keep track of characters and provides definitions for new words—and so much more! Useful information at students’ fingertips! Students and teachers alike are delighted with these handy reading aids!
* FREAK THE MIGHTY: 50-word Prereading Crossword—Familiarizes students with challenging words before they read the book! Helps prepare students for reading the book! Use with the Freak the Mighty edition of Bookmarks Plus and the Freak the Mighty Synonym/Antonym Vocabulary Crossword to reinforce meanings of new words!
* FREAK THE MIGHTY: Synonym/Antonym Vocabulary Crossword—Use with Bookmark Plus! Use with Bookmarks Plus and the 50-word Prereading Vocabulary Crossword to reinforce meanings of new words! A unique crossword!
Word-Wise Educational Products
—more than 800 unique products over most-taught literature!
Fun Teaching~Fun Learning!