This back to school first grade sample includes 10 printables from my best selling First Grade Starter Kit.
The following description applies to the full packet. This free download includes 10 pages from that packet.
Click here for the full product.
This first grade back to school packet includes more than 60 printables for the beginning of the year in math, reading, and writing. Use for assessment and practice, or plan lessons based on these worksheets.
The packet is divided into 6 major sections: Math, ELA, Homework, Problem of the Day, Getting Acquainted, and Reading Responses.
1.My First Spelling Test: CVC Picture Test
2. Missing Letters: Beginning Sounds
3. Missing Letters: Ending Sounds
4. Missing Letters: Short Vowels
5. Syllable Count
6. Color by Sight Word (2)
7. Category Sort
8. Antonym Match
8. Rhyming Words Cut & Paste (2)
9. Short Vowel Picture Sort
10. Handwriting Practice by Letter Features (5)
11. Spelling Lists: CVC Words (5)
1. Color by 3D Shape
2. Blank # Boards (1-2-, 1-30, 1-50, 1-100)
3. Count & Write
4. Draw a Set (1 blank, 1 filled in)
5. More or Less (2)
6. Ordering Numbers
7. Color by 2D Shape
8. Sight Word Graph
9. Addition & Subtraction to 5 (3 half-sheets)
10. Addition & Subtraction to 10 (3 half-sheets)
11. Number of the Day (12 sheets: blank with a ten frame, blank with a double ten frame, numbers 1-10)
Homework or Morning Work: 10 worksheets with phonics, sight words, numbers, and word problem sections. Reviews kindergarten skills and introduces early first grade skills.
Getting Acquainted Contents:
1. All About Me: Students draw & write in boxes.
2. The Leaders at My School: (2 - 1 blank table, 1 filled in) You could possibly use this as a whole group lesson to help students recognize important faces in the school. Draw a sketch & write the name of the person -- maybe after meeting that person as a group for the first time.
3. This is Me! Self-portrait & name writing sheet
4. When I Grow Up: Get students thinking about the future & the purpose of their education.
5. My First Grade Goal: Students draw & write about a goal they have and how they will work to accomplish it.
7. Jitter Juice Science Activity: Students will mix jitter juice while learning basic scientific vocabulary.
6. Ice Cream Graph: Students will color an ice cream scoop, then complete a class activity.
Problem of the Day: 15 problems focused on basic addition and subtraction and number sense. Great daily routine to introduce math journaling!
Reading Responses: These response questions can be used to plan your first ten interactive reading lessons! Each response has a printable.
1. Chrysanthemum by Kevin Henkes
2. Wemberly Worried by Kevin Henkes
3. Lily’s Purple Plastic Purse by Kevin Henkes
4 .Chester’s Way by Kevin Henkes
5. “The End” (from Now We Are Six) by A.A. Milne
6. Oh, the Places You’ll Go! by Dr. Seuss
7. Leo the Late Bloomer by Robert Krauss
8. The Art Lesson by Tomie dePaola
9. Listen, Buddy by Helen Lester
10. Me, First! by Helen Lester
Click here for my "I'm Ready for First Grade" math packet.
Please click the green star above under "Made by Miss First Grade" to follow me for updates, freebies, and discounts. Don't forget to leave feedback for TPT credits!
Like this product? Pin it!
Keywords: back to school first grade, first grade beginning of the year, beginning of the year first grade, printables, math worksheets, first grade homework, first grade back to school reading, first grade back to school math, beginning of the year printables, CVC words, word work, problem of the day, first day of school, first week of school
Do you use guided math in your classroom? Click here for a set of math mats that can make math groups and independent practice easy to prepare while giving students a way to organize their thinking.
Are you new to first grade? I love making math resources that balance rigor, routine practice, and student engagement. Click here to see my math selection!