This unit provides students with an easy form speech where they add their own personal anecdote to complete the speech. The speech will focus on one of the desirable character traits. Even reluctant writers will find this format easy to understand. This was designed to encourage students who are scared to speak in public. It also allows teachers the opportunity to discuss positive character traits early in the year.
• Assign each student a character trait from the list of 66 character traits.
• Discuss the meanings of unfamiliar words and give examples.
• Discuss using anecdotes as evidence.
• Pass out the form speech.
• Guide students through completing the introduction.
• Have students continue their speech by adding their own anecdote.
• Discuss speech requirements. Model posture, voice level, timing, etc.
• Allow students to finish writing the speech.
• Allow students to practice speeches in groups.
Day 3 – 4
• Students will give speeches.