In this lesson, students will practice the critical skill of listening comprehension while learning about the origin of Thanksgiving as a national holiday. After a mini-lesson on what to listen for and how to take notes, students will listen to a passage about Sarah Josepha Hale two times. They’ll take notes during both readings. Then, they’ll answer questions based on their passage. Finally, they’ll create a festive piece of turkey pop art with designs and shapes based on the answers to the comprehension questions. This activity is a perfect way to celebrate the holiday, keep students learning, and integrate art into your instruction.
In this free Thanksgiving lesson, you’ll find:
• Detailed Lesson Plan (2 pages)
• Listening Passage – Sarah Josepha Hale – Grades 4-5
• Listening Passage – Sarah Josepha Hale – Grades 6-8
• Listening Comprehension Guided Notes and Note Taking Sheet
• Pop Art Turkey
• Detailed Steps for Creating the Pop Art Turkey
This resource is a collaboration between Brain Waves Instruction and Art with Jenny K.
It’s the perfect combination of content and creativity…and a fantastic celebration of Thanksgiving!
Click here to check out the FREE NOVEMBER virtual plan book!
You may also like…
- Poetry Analysis
- 5 Autumn Poems
- Reading Comprehension Skills – Ultimate Bundle!
- 12 3-Day Mini-Units to help students master critical reading comprehension skills
- ”A Christmas Carol”
- Drama Study
- Reindeer Mail
- Friendly Letter Study and Writing
Following is Fun!
Get the inside scoop on all store discounts, free products, and product launches. Just click the green “Follow Me” star under my store name on this page or click the green “Follow Me” star on my store homepage.
*** Click HERE
to receive the Brain Waves Instruction Newsletter
filled with exclusive FREEBIES and Teaching Tips!
*** Click HERE
to become a seller on TpT
(Referral by Brain Waves Instruction)
Brain Waves Instruction