This comprehensive package provides you with over 80 pages of creative materials, almost all of which can be modified and tailored to meet the needs of your particular classroom. They are tried and true, having been tested and refined over the years. You’ll have everything you need to begin implementing a complete program that is clear, easy to follow, and realistic, given the time constraints faced by teachers.
Initially designed to instill in my students a sense of responsibility, this management system has grown into so much more, going well beyond a standard classroom economy system in which students carry out jobs, receive paychecks, and learn about banking. In this particular system, all students learn to value the important role they play in making the classroom run smoothly.
Perhaps more importantly, students quickly gain first-hand experience in cause and effect as they reap the rewards and consequences of their choices and begin to make parallel connections to the real world and how this classroom experience is preparing them for responsible, adult citizenship. Year after year, I’ve witnesses my students stand a little taller, look a little prouder, and very often amaze me with a positive turnaround in their behavior and attitude toward learning.
Designed to be student-driven, this system frees up the teacher’s time from the many, mundane, time-consuming tasks that often interfere with more important duties. In this system, you will find ready-made jobs that facilitate the smooth operation of the day-to-day needs of almost every 4th, 5th, or 6th grade classroom. In this way, your time can be devoted to what you want to be doing – teaching! Best of all, the record keeping system included in this package makes it easy to see patterns in positive or negative student behaviors and provides a wonderful tool for conferencing with parents/guardians.
There are a total of 18 jobs in this system (detailed descriptions are provided), some of which require more than one worker. In this way, it is easy to ensure that every student in your class has a job.
I have used this system with great success. Be prepared to spend the first couple of weeks of school teaching each student how to do his/her job and answering questions. This is time well spent, however, and the payoff is huge. You will have a classroom that basically runs itself, powerful documentation of student behaviors, and happy students and parents that love it. I hope you will too!
Materials Included in the Classroom Management System (most of which can be modified to meet the needs of your own class.
• Job Descriptions handout
• 2 sets of Job Description Cards, one with original, hand-drawn pictures and one without pictures in the event you choose to modify it
• Job Application Form and Letter of Recommendation Template
• 5 Math Skills Tests with answer keys: Bank Manager, Bank Teller, Bank Auditor, Reward Monitor, Payroll Clerk
• Collegiate Cash in 7 denominations (6 bills per page)- $1, $5, $10, $20, $50, $100, $500, $1,000
• 2 sets of Reward Request Labels with original, hand-drawn pictures to place on library pockets for display (one set does not have pictures in the event you choose to modify it)
• Reward Request Slips, Reward Coupons, and Reward Monitor Logs
• Police Officer Logs and Fine Tickets
• Payroll Clerk Log
• Landlord Log and Rent Due Slips
• Bankbook Template
• Checks & Deposit Slips
Free to Teach - A Classroom Management System for Grades 4-6
is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License