This PowerPoint, 'Creating a Character Profile' is intended to be used in conjunction with the Nexus2Teaching Resource 'Creating a Character Profile' Writing Skills. The PowerPoint provides the teacher with the step by step set of instructions necessary for the learning activity which can be projected using a Smart Board or something similar. This can be particularly helpful for those students who may have auditory processing difficulties.
The lesson has the following aims:
As teachers, we understand that in narrative writing, characters are a key building block to a great story. This learning activity has been designed with the reluctant writer in mind, who often does not know when and where to begin when creating a character. It is also intended to extend all students’ understanding of the elements necessary to create a rich character in story writing.
Learning Activity aims:
• For a fun and lively way to see each student with a character profile at the conclusion of this lesson.
• For students to engage in the writing process, in a supportive and non-threatening way by utilising a group’s input and then recording the responses.
• To scaffold the process of how to create a character.
Follow up ideas:
• Students can write a story using their character from this lesson.
• Repeat this lesson several times in the group context and students can file their character profiles ready for a writing time, creating a bank of character ideas.
• Using several of these character profiles, students are to choose 2, making one the protagonist and the other the antagonist for a story.
• For those students who are confident in creating their own character, the Character Profile template can be used working in an individual context, as part of their story preparation.
• The Character Profile Template can be used across other learning areas and subjects e.g. drama-based activities, script writing, in history - key figures in history, science – living things.
Please feel free to check out my 'Creating a Character Profile' Writing Skills product.