Freedom Summer by Deborah Wiles, is a moving story about two young boys, one white and one black, who grew up during the time of segregation. In the summer of 1964, the boys find out that the local pool, which only serves whites, must now integrate and allow people of all races to enjoy the pool. The boys are so anxious to be able to have fun together that they race early in the morning to the pool. Unfortunately, they find that the pool is being filled with tar in protest to integration. No one, black or white, will be able to enjoy the pool this summer.
Included in the package:
- Prezi- A 3D Lesson plan that is similar to powerpoint, with a 3D effect.
- Lesson Plan in PDF format
A. Common Core Aligned
B. Teaches Character Response to Major Events
C. Includes background information
D. Modeling, guided practice, and independent practice.
- 4 activities to extend the lesson
- 2 Vocabulary Practice sheet (five words per sheet)
- 1 Graphic Organizer (Character Response)
- Comprehension Quiz with 7 MC question and 1 Extended Response Question. Answer key included.
Go to Laura Randazzo’s TpT store and download her FREE step by step guide to open a Prezi.