Your beginning French students will be able to:
-view this powerpoint on French cognates,
- comprehend what a cognate is
-research cognates in French using the internet
- create a cognate cloud collage to display in your classroom
This product includes :
- the definition of a cognate
- examples in English, Italian, French and Spanish
- Seven word endings in French with two examples each and one picture per slide (-eux, - ance -tion -iste,, -al (e) et, - ment and -ique )
- age appropriate website addresses for your students to use on the computer to research cognates and to create their COGNATE CLOUD COLLAGE using wordle.net/create*
- a blank cloud template slide for students to cut and paste their collage into and for the teacher to display in the classroom
*This site needs to be in Internet Explorer Browser .To create the word collage, you will need to download Java.
NB. 1) This project can also be done LOW TECH. If computers are not available, simply have students skim and scan any age appropriate written material in the target language. A similar collage may be created by hand using markers, colored pencils and paper.
2) This project can also be done with older students in grades 9-12. These students can skim and scan more challenging informational texts by switching the websites to French newspaper sites such as www. lemonde.fr
Credit to:Sandy's Science